Sunday, October 1, 2017

Caramelized French Toast


Cinnamon, Brown Sugar & butter. Golden brown and bubbly. I don't remember who gave me this recipe but it is great when you have a crowd for breakfast.



1 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup butter or 1 stick
1/3 corn syrup
3 tablespoons water
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
One loaf of french bread sliced into 1 1/2 inch slices.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
Thin slices of butter on top

Combine sugar, butter, corn syrup and water in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes or until mixture is bubbly. Pour syrup evenly into lightly greased 13x9x2 inch casserole dish. Arrange bread slices over syrup. Combine eggs, milk, vanilla extract and salt, stir well. Gradually pour over bread slices. Cover and chill at least 8 hours or overnight. When ready to bake, combine the sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle evenly over soaked bread. Drizzle with the remaining butter. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Serve immediately.
Serves 10


Yum

3 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy -- and non-fattening, of course. Right? In the ingredients, you list 3/4 cups of butter and then it says one stick. One stick is 1/2 cup. Is it a choice? Thanks for sharing! Smiles, Linda at Paper Seedlings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda, It's a choice and yes non-fattening! LOL If I don't buy my bread from the same bakery the loaves can vary in size. If it's a larger loaf I need the extra butter. I'm also one to cut back on the sugar. I use to work at a church and for the life of me, I don't remember who shared this recipe with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks delicious!! Pinned.

    ReplyDelete

Always love to hear from you...have a sweet day.